Technical SEO Explained
Technical SEO refers to any SEO work that is done, aside from content on the website. Technical SEO is about laying a strong foundation to give your content the best chance to rank for relevant keywords and phrases.
- Determine which keywords will drive the most engaged traffic to your page then create URLs that clearly describe the content on page.
- Create a breadcrumb URL structure for better search indexing. Breadcrumbs also show visitors how they navigated to a page, allowing better engagement.
- Create an HTML sitemap for better user navigation and crawling for search engines
- Check usage of meta robots tags, telling search engines what to follow and what not to follow
- Audit for broken 404 links, when users can communicate with a server, but the server can not find the request
- Optimize 301/302/307 redirects when forwarding one URL to another
- Have Google crawl and index your pages, indexing is the process of adding webpages into Google search
- Make sure your site speed is performing well and your pages are loading quickly
- Become familiar with ViewState on ASP.net platforms and optimize site performance
- Use HTML frames to divide your browser window into multiple sections where each section can load a separate HTML document
- Comply with W3C validated CSS and HTML to ensure the validity of website documents
- Use rich snippets to help search engines better understand what information is on each web page
- Setup Ecommerce tracking in Google Analytics to correlate sales data with website usage data
- Set Goals in Google Analytics to focus on your highest value conversions
- Track internal and external promotions to constantly research and improve
- Use Event tracking to track downloads, ad clicks, Flash elements, embedded elements and video plays
- Monitor links shared on social media to be able to attribute website traffic to a specific link
Technical SEO is only one aspect of search engine optimization, which also focuses on on-page and off-page optimizations. Follow these steps and begin to improve the performance of your website pages in search engine results.